CLOVIS, Calif. -
Stay tuned all Friday night for highlights from the CIF California State Meet Trials Friday at scorching Buchanan High School in Clovis.
Here are live event-by-event updates
at the CIF site.
* Holy Names (Oakland, Calif.)
junior Sasha Wallace just made a huge statement by blowing past state leader Traci Hicks of Long Beach Poly to win the 100 meters heat in 13.40 seconds, the second fastest time in the country heading into action today. Wallace is already the national leader in the triple jump.
* Kenneth Walker also made a statement in the hurdles for Kennedy (Richmond)
, recording the ninth-best 110 hurdles time in the country this season, winning in a lifetime best of 13.81. He left the field by the second hurdle. Walker earlier ran the second leg for Kennedy's 400 relay team that recorded the sixth fastest time of the day in 41.55 seconds. Tom Jacobs, Lovell Stewart and Takkarist McKinley were other members.
* McKinley, a 6-foot-2, 235-pound defensive end, is noteworthy because he just came out for track for the first time this season. He qualified fourth int he 100 at 10.58. He's going to be a BIG football recruit with that speed.
* The Southern Section made a statement as in "we're fast" by boasting the top five 400 relay marks, led by Rio Mesa (Oxnard)
* Khalfani Muhammad, of Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks)
, looks like a good bet to double in the sprints, qualifying first in the 100 (10.44) and 200 (21.16).
* Long Beach Poly's
girls looked in good shape to win a fifth straight state crown, but it was disqualified in the 1,600 relay for interference.