MaxPreps staffers were hard at work Tuesday night preparing to publish a story on three lengthy high school basketball win streaks when the unthinkable happened. Wichita Heights (Kan.)
– owner of the nation's longest boys hoops win streak at 62 games – lost for the first time since December of 2009.
So much for that story.
But there are still two significant win streaks in progress and both were extended Tuesday.
Defending national champion and current Xcellent 25 No. 1 St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.)
won its 57th game in a row with a 51-45 win over Lincoln (Brooklyn, N.Y.).
Also nationally-ranked, No. 5 Chester (Pa.)
rolled past Methacton (Norristown) 59-31 in the second round of the PIAA District 1 Class AAAA tournament for consecutive win No. 50.
According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, the longest winning streak in boys basketball history was compiled by Passaic (N.J.)
from 1919-25 when the Indians ran off 159 victories in a row.
In more recent times, Valley (Bingham, Maine)
rattled off 101 in a row from 1997-2002 – good for No. 6 all-time and one of six 100-win streaks in high school basketball history.De La Salle (Concord, Calif.)
owns the signature win streak in all of high school sports, winning 151 straight football games from 1992-2000.BREAKING DOWN "THE STREAKS"57 – St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.)
* Ranked No. 1 nationally in MaxPreps Xcellent 25 and 2010-11 national champion.
* Last loss came March 13, 2010 to Trenton Catholic Academy in NJSIAA Non-Public B final.
* Just six of 57 games during streak have been decided by single digits.
* Defeated four nationally-ranked teams during streak.
* Defeated teams from seven states in addition to New Jersey during streak.
* If Friars win out, could extend streak to 67 games.50 – Chester (Pa.)
* Ranked No. 5 nationally in MaxPreps Xcellent 25.
* Last loss came Dec. 30, 2010 to Sanford (Hockessin, Del.) at Pete/Jameer Nelson Classic.
* Defeated 34 of last 38 opponents during streak by 10 points or more.
* Defeated teams from Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and West Virginia in addition to Pennsylvania during streak.
* If Clippers win out, could extend streak to 58 games.
TOP 10 ALL-TIME WIN STREAKS *
159 – Passaic (N.J.)
129 – Georgia Christian (Valdosta, Ga.)
114 – Wahoo (Neb.)
104 – Central Union Academy (Belleville, N.Y.), 1966-71
103 – Palmer (Iowa), 1986-89
101 – Valley (Bingham, Maine)
91 – Beaufort (N.C.), 1960-62
90 – Snook (Texas)
85 – St. Louis (Honolulu)
85 – Lee (Staunton, Va.)
* According to NFHS record book. For more on NFHS records and record book, click here