Indiana High School Soccer - Jasper WashingtonSeptember 20, 2018: Jasper, IN 47546
The crowd at Thursday's league test between the Washington Hatchets (Washington, IN) and the host Jasper Wildcats (Jasper, IN), saw Washington's soccer squad knock off Jasper by a margin of 4-2.
The Hatchets now sport a 12-0 record. They play next when they host Heritage Hills for a non-league test on Saturday, September 22. Washington will meet a Patriots squad coming off a 6-4 league win over North Posey (Poseyville, IN). The Patriots record now stands at 11-2.
With the loss, Jasper drops to 11-2 on the season. The Wildcats host Castle (Newburgh, IN) to meet the Knights in a non-league test on Saturday, September 22. The Knights come into the test with a record of 9-3. Castle won 6-2 in their recent league test against Evansville Reitz (Evansville, IN)
- Both teams entered game on hot streak. Jasper won 11 in a row. Wash 11-0-2.
- Wash scored in the 24th minute on a long free kick that bounced around the box before being finished.
- Wash scored again in the 38th after a 30 yard shot was bobbled. They finished the rebound.
- Wash up 2-0 at the half.
- Jasper cut lead in half early, when Sternberg hit a nice shot following a corner kick in the 46th. Sanders with the assist.
- Jasper then tied the game on a direct kick from Elizarraras in the 70th. Game tied 2-2 with 10 to play.
- Wash scored the biggest goal of the game in the 76th minute on a long punt that created a 50/50 ball between the forward and the keeper. Wash player was able to shoot after colliding with Abbett.
- Wash got another one in the 78th as Jasper shifted numbers forward in an attempt to find another late equalizer.
- Wash wins Big 8 Conference for 2nd straight year with 6-0 record. Jasper finished conf. play at 5-1.