Video: Texas A&M Commit Has Zero Chill
See Alvin's Savion Flagg, who is No. 9 in the nation in scoring averaging 34 a night.
Nine weeks are in the books for the Texas boys basketball season, and some players are putting up Texas-sized stats. MaxPreps breaks down the top five athletes in the state and where they rank nationally in major statistical categories.Points per game
Savion Flagg, Sr., Alvin, No. 9
– Flagg is off to a strong start in his final season, averaging 34 points per game. He has scored 50 points on three occasions this year and 40 in two games. He's shooting 53 percent on the season.Parker Hicks, Sr., Decatur, No. 15
– Hicks is scoring 32.1 points per night to go with 9.2 rebounds. He erupted for a 60-point night on Dec. 20 as Decatur beat Burkburnett 97-84. Hicks was 23-for-28 from the field.Josiah Johnson, So., Big Sandy, No. 37
– Johnson has poured in 30.1 points in the first 17 games of the season. He's scored 30 or more points in 10 of this team's games.Quentin Grimes, Jr., College Park (The Woodlands), No. 46
– Grimes is averaging 29.3 points per game. He bumped up that total the last two games, scoring 48 and 39, respectively, in a pair of high-scoring victories.
Tre'Veon Semien, Sr., Romeo Young Men's Innovation Prep Academy (Paris), No. 48
– Semien's senior season has started out with a bang. He's a double-double machine, averaging 29.2 points and 12 rebounds a game.Rebounds per gameCaithen Bodey, Sr., Loop, No. 11
– Bodey is pulling down 16.5 rebounds per game. In the second game of the season, he grabbed 31 boards to go with 26 points. Grant Carlisle, So., Chisholm Trail Academy (Keene), No. 14
– Carlisle has been hitting the glass hard early in the year, getting 16.2 rebounds per game. In six games this year, he has 19 or rebounds. Pierce Williams, Sr., Dallas Academy (Dallas), No. 26
– Williams has had a double-double in every game this season and is averaging 15.1 boards a game.Corey Nickerson, So., Sterling (Houston), No. 47
– Nickerson has been tough underneath the basket this year, pulling down 14.5 rebounds each game. In a 70-54 victory over Milby on Dec. 3, Nickerson hauled in 28 rebounds; 17 were offensive.Chance Parker, Jr., Ballinger, No. 49
– Parker has been strong on the glass for Ballinger. He is registering 14.4 rebounds a game, 5.8 on the offensive end.Assists per gameDavian Sanders, So., Wilmer-Hutchins (Dallas), No. 27
– Sanders has six 10-plus assists games and has been leading Wilmer-Hutchins all season. His best game on Dec. 3 was a 14-point, 11-assist game in an 84-68 loss to Richardson.Kendric Davis, Jr., Houston Math Science & Tech (Houston), No. 32
– To go with Davis' 7.4 rebounds, he is scoring 25.7 points per game. He had a season-high 15 assists in a blowout win on Nov. 29.Gregory Thompson, Sr., King's Academy (Tyler), No. 33
– Thompson is tallying 7.4 rebounds per game. In a 73-66 victory Grand Saline, he had 13 points, 11 assists and seven steals.Zaid Harris, Jr., Clear Lake (Houston), No. 69
– Harris is dishing out 6.6 assist a game and has three double-digit assist outings this season.Daunte Galvan, So., Pharr-San Juan-Alamo North (Pharr), No. 84
– Remarkably, Galvan has only one 10-assist game, but he's been consistent all season to average 6.4.Steals per gameMiquel Curo, Sr., Chisholm Trail Academy (Keene), No. 4
– Curo is a thief on the court, getting 7.2 steals per game. In the last four games, he has double figures three times and is averaging 10.8.Ethan Lincecum, Sr., Nazarene Christian Academy (Crowley), No. 6
– Lincecum is averaging 6.4 steals per game, but in the last three contests, he's snagged 8.6.
Jordan Urbina, Jr., Los Fresnos, No. 12
– Urbina is getting 5.5 steals per game. But a 24-point, 13-steals game against Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Southwest on Dec. 8 certainly pads the stats.Noah Aleman, Sr., Falfurrias, No. 12
– Aleman has eight or more steals in six games this season and is averaging 5.5 steals per contest.Chaz Smith, Sr., Vernon, No. 23
– Smith has been steady for Vernon by chipping in five steals a game. In game against Dalhart early in the year, he scored 34 points to go with 10 steals.