PREVIOUS: No. 19 St. Joseph's PrepNEXT: No. 21 St. Peter's Prep
Video: 2017 Early Contenders - No. 20 Steele
Host Zack Poff breaks down why the Knights have one of the best teams in the country.
David Saenz Last season:
14-2, lost in the 6A-2 state championship game to DeSoto, 38-29Last decade:
126-19, one state titleFamous alumni/players:
Rams RB Malcolm Brown, former Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong Jr.
PLAYERS TO WATCHS Caden Sterns (6-1, 192, Sr.) —
The Texas commit is the fourth-ranked recruit in the state.RB Brenden Brady (5-11, 190, Sr.) —
The Rice commit rushed for 1,685 yards and 20 touchdowns last season.CB Jayveon Cardwell (6-0, 175, Sr.) —
Committed to Oklahoma State, he had 54 tackles and seven interceptions in 2016.S JT Woods (6-2, 175, Sr.) —
He had 90 tackles last season and is committed to Baylor.LB Juan Henry Jr. (6-3, 230, Sr.) —
Posted 16 tackles for loss and 19 hurries in 2016.
Sept. 8 — at Lake Travis (Austin, Texas)
Sept. 29 — at Judson (Converse, Texas)
Nov. 10 — at Clemens (Schertz, Texas)
* New head coach Saenz has been in the program the last 10 years and was co-defensive coordinator last season. He takes over for Scott Lehnhoff, who resigned to take over the school district's athletic director job after going 53-7 in his four seasons. Both men are 37. "You're not going to find a better person. You're not going to find someone who cares more about the kids at Steele High School and the surrounding community," Lehnhoff told reporters when promoting Saenz. "He's a pretty great football mind as well."
* There's not much Stern can't do on the field, ranked the No. 31 player overall in the country by 247Sports composite and the third-best safety overall. In his two-year career, he's had 145 tackles and seven interceptions to go along with 18 catches and six touchdowns.
* Saenz's first job might be finding a new quarterback to replace three-year starter and current Texas Tech freshman Xavier Martin, who accounted for more than 5,800 yards and 63 touchdowns in his career.
* Whoever that quarterback is, he will not only have Brady at his disposal, but he'll also look for Bowling Green-bound receiver Onyx Smith
(50 catches, 801 yards, eight touchdowns in 2016).
* The one team in its district that appears ready to pounce if Steele falters is Judson, which returns nine starters on defense and star quarterback Julon Williams.