WHALE OF A START FOR NEW BEDFORD GIRLS
began its Big 3 Conference schedule last week the same way it stormed through its first 10 non-conference games - by winning.Alyssa Roach
scored a game-high 27 points and Allexia Barros
came on strongly in the second half, finishing with 19, in the Whalers' 67-58 win against rival Brockton.
The victory improved New Bedford to 11-0 for the season overall. The Whalers are No. 6 in the state in the MaxPreps Freeman Rankings.
Barros hit three 3-ponters in the third quarter after Brockton (2-7) had rallied to within 44-40.
"Allexia didn't look like her usual self early in the game; she was out of sorts," New Bedford coach Mickey Gonsalves told the New Bedford Standard-Times. "She kept at it, though, and she gave us a big lift with her shooting in the second half. She made some big shots when we needed them."
Brockton guards Nephie Marsh
and Leah Spencer
scored 23 and 12 points, respectively, for the Boxers.PERFORMANCES OF NOTE
* Sarah Foss
made 20 saves for her team's fourth consecutive shutout victory and the top-ranked St. Mary's (Lynn)
girls hockey team extended its unbeaten streak to 87 games with a 2-0 win against No. 2 Fontbonne.
* The No. 13 Reading Memorial
boys hockey team got a first-period goal from Ross Anderson
and second-period scores from Thomas Crowley
and Peter Nugent
as its knocked off defending Super 8 champ and No. 3 Hingham, 3-2. Hingham was coming off a win over top-ranked Malden Catholic.
* Newton South (11-0) features Villanova recruit Kendall Burton, Brown-bound Sophie Bikofsky and Chloe Rothman (Merrimack), but it was little-known Julia Sloan-Cullen who scored 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds as the Lions knocked off previously undefeated Acton-Boxboro, 55-41.
* Six-foot-7 junior forward Joey Glynn notched a career-high 40 points in leading Cardinal Spellman (Brockton) (8-1) to a 72-54 win over St. Mary's in a Catholic Central League showdown.
* Antonio Reyes had 27 points, 12 rebounds, seven assists and seven steals in Salem's second consecutive overtime victory, 71-70 against Marblehead. He also had a quote of note concerning the Witches' recent OT run: "It's tough. It's stressful," Reyes told the Salem News. "I know the coach (Tommy Doyle) is losing hair, the little hair that he's got now."
* Kyle Gibson
scored 19 points and pulled in nine rebounds as Franklin
remained unbeaten at 9-0 with an 88-72 win over Oliver Ames. The 6-foot-4 forward is averaging 20.8 points per game and 10.9 rebounds. Franklin later lost for the first time, 72-63, to North Attleborough
. It began the week at No. 2 in the MaxPreps Freeman Rankings.
* Senior forward Mark Cornelius
registered 26 points and 17 rebounds as Westford Academy
, No. 5 in the state's MaxPreps Freeman Rankings
, beat Newton South, 75-61, in a Dual County League game. Matt Ellis
added 16 points and eight rebounds for the Grey Ghosts.
improved to 12-1 with a 55-41 win over Abington. Jason Farias
scored six of his 10 points in the fourth quarter, providing Mashpee with the late cushion, while Eric Lopes
(13 points) and Nate Sprague
(nine points) had big first halves for the Falcons.
* Richard Rodgers
led all scorers with 28 points as the Central Region's top team, St. John's (Shrewsbury)
, held on to beat No. 10 Holy Name, 64-63, in Worcester.
* Nicole Beresford
, Marshfield's 6-foot-0 senior forward, became the school's all-time leading scorer, hitting the 1,499 point mark for her career. That's why Boston University, Rhode Island, Dartmouth, Sacred Heart and North Florida are all interested in her.
* Wellesley senior guard Blake Dietrick
, who averages 18.7 points per game and is headed to Princeton in the fall, has her team at 9-1. She and Sophia Mavrommatif
hit a series of 3-pointers that helped fell Natick, 56-43, in a Bay State Conference game. Wellesley also features 5-8 senior Tierra Allen,
daughter of Boston Celtics' guard Ray Allen.
sophomore center Brenna Diggins
contributed 19 points and 16 rebounds as the Clippers roared from behind in the second half to win their 11th straight game, 68-54, against Harwich. Diggs is averaging 17.3 points per game and 13.3 rebounds while Ryanne Williams averages 12.3 points for coach Matthew Marani.
* Maryland Eastern Shore recruit Alexis Udoji
, a 6-foot-4 Cardinal Spellman senior, had 15 points, 11 rebounds and 17 blocked shots in a game earlier this season against Bishop Fenwick.
* Sophomore forward Saliah Serrette
recorded 28 points, 21 rebounds, six blocked shots and six steals to help Weston
beat Concord-Carlisle, 66-41.
* Vanessa Rice
hit five 3-pointers after having made only two all season, scoring 21 points and leading Hampshire Regional (Westhampton)
(10-1) past South Hadley, 50-44.Jim Stout is the CBS MaxPreps Media Manager for the Eastern U.S. He may be reached at 845-367-2864 or at email@example.com.