Video: Erin O'Leary
See highlights from the Novi All-American.
Teams from Michigan and the East grab the spotlight in this week's MaxPreps Xcellent Top 25 National High School Volleyball Rankings presented by the Army National Guard, but a trio of highly-ranked West Coast teams will be in the upcoming week's spotlight as the the California Interscholastic Federation's state championships enter its final two weeks.
First, however, Novi (Mich.) ran its win streak to 31 straight in winning its third-straight Class A state title and Class B champion Notre Dame (Pontiac) reeled off its 53rd win in a row. Led by three-time MaxPreps All-American Erin O'Leary
, who was recently named Michigan's Miss Volleyball, Novi jumped six spots in this week's Top 25 rankings. Novi, which has won 137-of-144 sets this season, did not lose a set during its 31-straight win streak.
• In Pennsylvania, North Allegheny (Wexford) shook things up as it swept previously unbeaten and highly ranked Bishop Shanahan (Downington) 3-0 to win the State 4A title.
• In New York, Mackenzie Cole
was named tournament MVP as Connetquot (Bohemia) came from two sets down to win the state AA championship.
• In New Jersey, Immaculate Heart Academy (Washington Township) defeated River Dell (Oradel), 25-21, 25-15, to win its eighth state Tournament of Champions title all-time and first in three years. IHA finished 34-0 against in-state competition with its only loss to higher ranked Flint Hill (Oakton, Va.).
• In Connecticut, RHAM (Hebron) won the state Class L title and finished season with 11-straight 3-0 wins. The Sachems' only loss was to New York large school champion Connetquot. RHAM won 98-of-101 sets and did not lose a set in September or November.
• In Virginia, Flint Hill won the state D1 title by running the table on 2017 without losing in 37 matches.
• In Florida, West Orange (Winter Garden) completed a perfect season as it won the 9A state finals. Sophomore Taylor Head
recorded 19 kills in the three-set victory. And Berkeley Prep (Tampa) joined the Top 25 by finishing the season with 20 wins in a row and a 30-2 record by winning the state 5A title. It was Berkeley Prep's 16th overall volleyball title.
• In Louisiana, Teurlings Catholic (Lafayette) won its fifth straight state title and played only one five-set match in running its win streak to 57.
• In Texas, seniors Adanna Rollins
and Annie Benbow
led Hebron (Carrollton) to its third-straight 6A championship and 24th win in a row. Despite losing seven times this season, the win moved Hebron into the Top 25.
Also new to the Top 25 is St. Joseph's Academy (St. Louis), which captured the state's 4A championship two weeks ago. Two of St. Joe's losses were to top two teams Walton and Marist.
Out west, it isn't likely that poll-climbing Torrey Pines (San Diego) can overtake the top three teams, but the Falcons have won 25 straight. That streak, however, could be in jeopardy against Tuesday's previously-ranked foe Redondo Union (Redondo Beach). The Seahawks are 35-5.
The winner will get a powerhouse foe on Saturday as highly-ranked Mater Dei (Santa Anna) and Marymount (Los Angeles) square off again. Marymount is the last team to defeat Mater Dei this season. And Mater Dei is the last team to defeat Marymount.
Preseason No. 1 Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) moves into the regional semifinals riding a seven match streak with wins over playoff teams that have combined for a 116-36 won-loss record.
This week's top three remains unchanged with Walton (Marietta, Ga.), Marist (Chicago) and Assumption (Louisville, Ky.) holding on to the top spots. All three have completed their state championship seasons.
MaxPreps Xcellent 25 National Volleyball Rankings presented by the Army National Guard
1. (Last week 1) Walton (Marietta, Ga.), 40-1 * season over2. (2) Marist (Chicago), 41-1 *3. (3) Assumption (Louisville, Ky.), 40-3 *4. (5) Torrey Pines (San Diego), 33-3 5. (4) Lewis-Palmer (Monument, Colo.), 29-0 *6. (7) West Orange (Winter Garden, Fla.), 29-0 *7. (6) Ursuline Academy (Cincinnati), 28-1 *8. (8) Notre Dame Prep (Pontiac, Mich.), 63-2-2 *9. (9) Xavier College Prep (Phoenix), 40-3 *season over10. (15) Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, Calif.), 34-5 11. (16) Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.), 35-5 12. (18) Novi (Mich.), 57-313. (13) Teurlings Catholic (Lafayette, La.), 42-0 *14. (14) Flint Hill (Oakton, Va.), 37-0 15. (NR) North Allegheny (Wexford, Pa.), 24-0 *16. (17) Connetquot (Bohemia, N.Y.), 40-1-2 *17. (21) Immaculate Heart Academy (Washington Township, N.J.), 40-1 *18. (20) Lakeville North (Lakeville, Minn.), 32-2 *19. (NR) RHAM (Hebron, Conn.), 35-1-1 * 20. (NR) St. Joseph's Academy (St. Louis), 32-3 *21. (NR) Hebron (Carrollton, Texas), 41-7 *22. (22) Avon (Ind.), 37-3 *23. (NR) Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.), 30-2 *24. (24) Dorman (Roebuck, S.C.), 42-4 *25. (25) Southridge (Beaverton, Ore.), 37-1-1 *
Dropped out: Barnstable (Hyannis, Mass.), The Woodlands (Texas), O'Connor (Helotes, Texas), Rouse (Leander, Texas), Bishop Shanahan (Downingtown, Pa.).