It took Bishop Hendicken pitcher Chris Sheehan just five innings to toss a one-hitter and strike out seven Cranston West batters to hand the Falcons their first loss, 11-0.
In the 10-run, mercy-rule shortened game, Sheehan (5-0) had plenty of offensive support from freshman Billy Walker (three doubles and four RBI) and two hits each from Chris Costantino, Jeff Roy and Jordan Nasser. Mike McClarnon had the only hit for the Falcons (11-1, now tied with the Hawks for the Division 1 West lead).
Baseball news and notes
* North Kingstown has now overwhelmed the competition 57-2 in a seven-game roll after Dave D'Errico scattered six hits in a complete-game, 6-0 shutout over Westerly.
* South Kingstown pitchers Nick Zatarian (five innings) and reliever Connor Morse teamed up for a no-hitter in a 3-1 win over Chariho as the Rebels (11-1) stayed just ahead of North Kingstown (10-1) in Division 1 South.
* Anthony Aceto was the hero for North Providence with a two-out, two-run homer in the bottom of the seventh to lift the Cougars to a 7-6 win over Cumberland. In the tight seven-team Division 1 North standings, Smithfield and St. Raphael remain deadlocked in first at 7-5 while North Providence is at 5-8.
* Prout pitcher Brad Horsfield scattered five hits while Jake Bergen had a two-run triple and Jason Ramono contributed a two-run double in a 9-1 victory by the Division 2 South leaders (12-1) over Mt. Pleasant.
* Dan Breen scored twice and Dan Welch, Ben Welch, Henry Miller and J.P. Marshall added a goal each for Division 3 South leader Middletown (8-1) in a 6-3 win against South Kingstown.
* Dean Clarke of Wheeler had a double hat trick and scored the game winner with 12 seconds left in a 7-6 double-overtime Division 2 win over Narragansett.
* Division 1 co-leader La Salle (8-1) ran off its eighth win in a row, 13-6, over Bishop Hendricken with a five-goal effort by Chris McMahon, three scores by Conor O'Donnell and two goals and two assists by Mike Kemmy. The Hawks (4-6) outshot the Rams, but La Salle netminder Will Sturgis came up with 11 saves.
* Ben Willett had five goals for Portsmouth (6-3) in a 13-5 Division 1 win over Providence Country Day
* Lauren Bayuk with five goals and Becky Bracken added four more to lead six Barrington scorers in a 17-12 Division 1 win over North Kingstown. Goalie Avery Griffith also starred for the league-leading Eagles (7-1), turning aside 17 Skippers' shots.
* Brittany Therman led the Prout offense with five goals and goalie Amanda Kalk was outstanding with 17 saves as the Crusaders remain unbeaten (11-0) with a 13-7 victory over Narragansett.
* South Kingstown relied on three goals by Chloe Cullen and two each by Ashlee Grimes, Paige Munroe, Olivia Mattyasovszky and Molly Wood in a 12-2 triumph over Cranston East.
* Warwick Vets conquered Mt. St. Charles, 16-4, behind three goals from Kim Courcy and two apiece from Alex DiMauro, Stephanie Fraser, Danielle Vazquez, Katie Veyera and Jess McCaughey. The Hurricanes and South Kingstown are tied for the Division 3 lead with 7-1 marks.