PREVIOUS: No. 23 EastNEXT: No. 25 Kahuku
Video: 2017 Early Contenders - No. 24 Katy
Check out highlights of the Tigers' top players coming back, and hear insight from Zack Poff.
Gary JosephLast season:
10-3, lost in 6A-1 Region 3 semifinals to North Shore, 20-17Last decade:
140-13, four state titlesFamous alumni/players:
Bengals QB Andy Dalton, country singer Clint Black, actress Renee Zellweger
PLAYERS TO WATCHRB Deondrick Glass (5-11, 190, Jr.) —
The big contributor since his freshman season has 13 offers and is the No. 7 recruit in his class for Texas. OT Connor Galvin (6-7, 250, Sr.) —
The No. 67 recruit in the state has 17 offers including UCLA, Florida and Colorado. DT Moro Ojomo (6-3, 265, Sr.) —
Though he has 12 college offers, Oklahoma State appears to be his destination. DE Michael Matus (6-2, 235, Sr.) —
The Arizona State commit may play linebacker in college. CB Keshon Rowe (5-11, 170 Sr.) —
The defensive back earned All-District honors last season.
Sept. 1 — vs. Westlake (Austin, Texas)
Sept. 8 — at Klein Collins (Spring, Texas)
Sept. 16 — vs. The Woodlands (Texas)
* After four straight state final appearances, a very young Tigers team fell a couple games short last season and lost three games for the first time since 2008. How will they respond?
* Glass was a MaxPreps freshman All-American and last year he rushed for 1,912 yards and 30 touchdowns. An injury kept him out of the season-ending defeat. Will he approach 2,500 yards in 2017?
* In close games, the Tigers have a serious advantage in 5-11, 190-pound senior kicker Seth Small
, who has already committed to Texas A&M.
* Three seniors shared the quarterback spot last year, primarily handled by Rocky Emery (1,747 yards, 19 touchdowns, 4 interceptions). Who will emerge at that spot?
* With a 178-17 record in 13 seasons as head coach — this is his 37th season at the school — Joseph has the second-highest winning percentage (.913) in Texas behind only 1A Richland Springs coach Jerry Burkart (188-14, .931). How much longer will he be the Tigers' leader?