By Matt Krumrie
The Fab Five
- Still Undefeated: The 2007-08 basketball season heads to the home stretch in the coming months, as teams prepare to get into the heart of the conference schedule. Heading into the second half of the season these Greater Twin Cities teams are still undefeated: New Prague (9-0), Marantha (9-0), West Lutheran (9-0), Red Wing (8-0), Concordia (8-0), Minnetonka (8-0), Holy Family (7-0), Hopkins (7-0), Osseo (7-0), Maple Grove (7-0), St. Michael-Albertville (7-0), Rockford (7-0), Shakopee (6-0), and Cretin-Derham Hall (6-0).
- Bethel Tournament: Mounds View claimed the Bethel Tournament title with a 63-60 win over Henry Sibley. Mike Schramm of Mounds View, who is averaging 16.5 points per game, led the Mustangs with 23 points, while teammate Nick Bartlett added 19 points in the win. Mike Bruesewitz led Sibley with 23 points and eight rebounds in the loss. Mounds View made 7 of 13 three-pointers and eight of nine free throws in the close win.
- Osseo: Osseo won the Anoka Holiday Tournament with wins over Irondale, Wayzata and Orono. The Orioles are 7-0 on the season and ranked third in the state in the MaxPreps.com poll. The Orioles are a well-balanced team with four players averaging double figures. Sam Dower averages 13.9 points per game, Dan Brown averages 13.7, Carrington Tankson 12.7 and Zack Peterson 12.1 for a team expected to contend for the Northwest Suburban Conference title
- New Prague: The Trojans are off to an 8-0 start after winning the Glencoe-Silver Lake Holiday Tournament. The Trojans are led by Tony Johnson, who averages 21.4 points per game. Danny Geiger averages 16 ppg and Adam Michael 15.6 for Missota Conference title contenders.
- Top-Ranked Teams: The AP top-ranked teams are Minnetonka (4A), Benilde-St. Margaret's (3A), Crosby-Ironton (2A) and Cass-Lake Bena (1A).
Three to Watch
- David Hanson, Marantha Academy: Marantha is 9-0 on the season, and Hanson is a big reason why. The 6-foot-5 forward averaged just over 27 points and 15 rebounds to power Marantha to the Moose Lake Invitational tournament title. Marantha is ranked No. 2 in the state in Class A, behind top-ranked Cass Lake-Bena.
- Pierce Edmiston, Houston: The 6-2 senior is averaging 25.8 points per game. He had a season-high 42 points in a Dec. 14 win over Coulee Region Christian.
- Michael Floyd, Cretin-Derham Hall: Floyd's 24.5 points per game leads the St. Paul area in scoring and the Raiders are undefeated at 6-0.
Two Hot Too Handle
- Greg Morse, Como Park: The 6-5 Morse, who was the leading passer in the St. Paul City Conference in the fall, and one of the top quarterbacks in the state, is also a threat on the court. Morse is in the top ten in the East Metro in scoring with 17.8 points per game. Last week he had 25 points and 12 rebounds against city rival Central and 31 points against Park of Cottage of Grove. Como Park is off to a 7-3 start and Morse is a big reason why.
- Jared Berrgren, Princeton: The 6-10 Wisconsin recruit is averaging 24.3 points per game and has 16 and 17-rebound performances to his credit already this season. He is shooting 56 percent from the field for 6-2 Princeton.
Inside The Numbers
253 - Total points scored this season by LeSueur-Henderson/Minnesota New Country Giants junior guard Tyler Schmidt.
95 - The total number of points scored by Schmidt in three games in the Bethany Lutheran Tournament. LSH won all three games on the way to the tournament title.
46 - The number of steals this season by Minnesota Transitions guard Kyle Noreen.
34 - The number of 3-pointers made by Schmidt this season.
31.6 - The average points per game for Schmidt this season.
21.4 - The per game average of Deandre White of Arlington High School
16 - The number of 3-pointers made by Schmidt in the Bethany Tournament.
7. 3 - The per game average of steals for Noreen thus far this season, tops in the state.