Last week, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference announced there would be no high school football in the state this fall. Wednesday in Hartford, disappointed players, parents and supporters rallied at the capitol to voice their opposition to the decision.
It was quite a turnout, as shared by Dave Briggs via Twitter:
In the wake of Wednesday's protests, Governor Ned Lamont has called for a meeting Friday to discuss options for safely holding school sports.
The status of high school football in Connecticut has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride in recent weeks. A day after announcing Oct. 1 as the start date for football, the CIAC reversed course Sept. 4 and said there will be no prep pigskin in the fall.
"Without DPH (Department of Health) support, the CIAC cannot move forward with a full-contact season as it would place superintendents and boards of education in the impossible position of acting against the recommendation of a state agency," the organization said in a release.
Football teams will still be eligible to condition as a team during the fall and the CIAC will consider combines and passing leagues. No plans were announced for tackle football in the winter or spring. Girls volleyball is awaiting the support of the DPH and if it is will join swimming, cross country, soccer and field hockey to play this fall.
Around the country, 17 states have pushed fall football seasons into 2021 while 33 are planning to play or are already underway.