As a farewell to the 2019-2020 basketball season and a tough Spring with no sports, MaxPreps polled coaches for their opinion on the top teams in the region.
We took the results of their polls and pitted them against our computerized rankings looking for any interesting differences. Although the math formula that produces the computerized rankings is meticulous — a carefully crafted, dissected work of science that isn't subject to traditional editorial bias — not everyone agrees with the output. This particularly goes for the coaches, who spend endless gobs of time analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of their own team and others.
After gathering the results here are some of the biggest takeaways from the polls:Chattahoochee (Alpharetta, GA) jumped up an impressive 7 spots to claim a spot in the top 10 highest ranked positions.
We seem to have a unanimous decision on the top four spots. Grayson (Loganville, GA), Wheeler (Marietta, GA), Woodward Academy (College Park, GA), and St. Francis (Alpharetta, GA) played well enough all season to claim top dog status in the Atlanta area.
After a long season, Pebblebrook (Mableton, GA) deserves some recognition for jumping into the top 25 after being ranked 35th in the MaxPreps computerized rankings.
And without further ado, here are the results of the Coaches Poll. (Note: The number in parenthesis is the difference between the MaxPreps ranking and the Coaches Poll.)
- DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) (0)
- Paul VI (Fairfax, Va.) (0)
- Gonzaga (Washington, District of Columbia) (0)
- St. Stephen's & St. Agnes (Alexandria, Va.) (0)
- St. Charles (Waldorf, Md.) (4)
- St. John's (Washington, District of Columbia) (-1)
- Rock Creek Christian Academy (Upper Marlboro, Md.) (-1)
- St. Andrew's Episcopal (Potomac, Md.) (+7)
- South County (Lorton, Va.) (-2)
- Roosevelt (Washington, District of Columbia) (+15)
- Potomac (Oxon Hill, Md.) (-3)
- Oxon Hill (Oxon Hill, Md.) (+1)
- Wilson (Washington, District of Columbia) (+11)
- National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, Md.) (-3)
- Eleanor Roosevelt (Greenbelt, Md.) (+5)
- Wise (Upper Marlboro, Md.) (+5)
- Centreville (Clifton, Va.) (+6)
- Bishop Walsh (Cumberland, Md.) (+8)
- Springbrook (Silver Spring, Md.) (+9)
- Middleburg Academy (Middleburg, Va.) (-10)
- Bullis (Potomac, Md.) (-3)
- Bishop McNamara (Forestville, Md.) (-8)
- Archbishop Carroll (Washington, District of Columbia) (-7)
- Goretti (Hagerstown, Md.) (+19)
- Douglass (Baltimore, Md.) (-3)
What do you think: is the computer ranking or the coaches poll a more accurate reflection? Find us on social or send us an email to share your opinion: firstname.lastname@example.org.